Friday, May 21, 2010

I'm Going Home


I need proof I existed for the past 10 years. My ‘proof’ are my photo’s. My books. These are all the things that fill the twenty plus boxes I stare at. I came to the US a married woman. I divorced about 7 years ago. I have been through so much here. Its been like a ten year Shamanic test. Divorce, cancer, a night in jail because of paperwork, a dynamic high profile and toxic career. I have turned myself inside out, become a yoga teacher, studied the Enneagram and found a passion for knitting. Life in the US has not been dull. It has been a pivotal time in my life. But throughout all I have been through, one thing has not changed, my yearning for my country.

Australia.

And so I am returning home.

I’m scared. I am excited. The trip is a little daunting because I am bringing my two furry best friends home with me. They are going to be in the cargo hold of the plane and I wish to god I could curl up beside them.

I stare at all my ‘stuff’ and wonder if I should just leave it here. Be Zen and ‘travel lightly’. All those books that will sit on a shelf when I do get home. But when I look at those books, I remember where I was when I bought them, the strength I found to get through all that I have experienced. The inspiration and comfort they brought to me when I had none. My dogs, knitting and books have been my family, comfort, refuge and they are all coming home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment